Thursday, March 15, 2012

Reality Bites....

Fashion Star
     This week, the show “Fashion Star” premiered on NBC at 9:30pm, on Tuesday. It was an hour and a half show of fashion boredom.  Designers selected to be on the show, had to create a signature look, for a 3 outfit runway show. The buyers of: H&M, Macy’s, and Saks Fifth Ave were then given an opportunity to bid on the outfit that will be offered at their stores. Highest bid won and featured the clothing in their stores the next day.

     Although the stores represented in the show were impressive, the fashion mentors were not so much. I have to say, Jessica Simpson and Nicole Richie are probably very smart business women in fashion, but as a designer, I wouldn’t be very happy that they were my “mentors.” I would have a happier time having someone like Betsy Johnson, Donna Karan, or Michael Kors give me design advice. I am not saying they couldn’t be on the show. They can be very useful for advice on what a sellable product could be, but I was disappointed that they were “mentors.” 

     So out of all that, the most disappointing thing about the show was the audience they had for the runway show. They seem to have over-reactions to things that made the experience kind of “hokey”. I also don’t mind hearing a little background on each designer, but PLEASE do not have these over-dramatic stories. This seems very gimmicky and it follows the horrible rules of “reality TV”.  Most designers out there don’t come from “well off” families and have had to struggle for their dream. I don’t know too many people who have not struggled to have their dreams come true.     
     
      The last thing that bothered me was the drawn out pauses between designers receiving their bids from buyers. This show follows every cliché and reality TV rule, of horribly written television. I don’t think this show is necessary to remain on this type of platform. 

     Overall, I LOVE the concept of the show. A designer being able to case a design or an idea to 3 buyers that represent some of America’s favorite places to shop, is a great and innovative. Being able show support to designers that would not otherwise be able to be seen, is a great way for us to see what the American customer responds to them. If only they can walk away from the “reality TV” format and just show us the hard work of those designers. I think the “enjoyable” factor of the show would be worth my time.

      With shows like Project Runway, Rachel Zoe Project, Top Model, What Not to Wear, and Tim Gunn’s  Guide to Style, I don’t  want another “fashion show” that follows the “American Idol” formula of suspense and over dramatic cast members. As a fellow designer, I want to be inspired by these designers and be able to support my fellow designers by purchasing and talking about their creations. So I am wishing that this was not a case of “grand premiere” and “grand cancelling.”  Maybe they will reconsider the format so that this show can be a little more enjoyable and worth watching.

Happy Shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment